Simulate Oscillator Phase Noise

Hi. I was wondering if it is possible to generate a GNSS signal with oscillator phase noise, where the phase noise is defined using typical receiver h parameters. I would like to simulate oscillator noise for TXCOs and OCXOs. Is there a way to do this? I did not find it mentioned in the Skydel manual. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello Sam - Let me check with our engineering team on this and hopefully they can respond soon because it is a very good question

Hello @sam.bilardi,
I will suggest you two workarounds to answer your request since we don’t have any solutions that are directly implemented in Skydel to simulate the oscillator noise.

1. If you go to the Settings β†’ GPS β†’ Errors β†’ Pseudorange Errors section (8.7.4.11. Errors in User manual), you can use the Pseudo-Ranges Offsets parameters to create skews and ramps on the simulated pseudo-ranges. You can inject phase noise into the pseudo-range of each satellite by activating functions such as Gauss-Markov, Sine Waves and Offset. By playing with the different parameters of this section (amplitude, period, phase offset), you will be able to model the shape of your noise.
  2. The second solution would be to use the section Pseudorange Offset (8.7.4.4. Pseudorange Offset in User manual) for the constellation type. Pseudorange offsets can be applied to all PRNs or to a specific PRN. You may also have multiple offsets in effect at the same time. It is possible to add this pseudorange offset manually in this section of Skydel or with the SetPseudorangRamp function using the remote API option.

Depending on the option you decide to use, we can continue to help you with your simulation.

Best regards
Grace

1 Like

Thank you for your help. This is very similar to what I was hoping for. Have a good day!

2 Likes