Flight Path simulation with a GNSS payload

Hi everyone! My apologies for the confusing title :sweat_smile:

I was just wondering if there is a way to add the flight path of a drone (with a gnss receiver on it) to the simulation, and see which satellites (what power levels) would be present at each point of the flight.

I know that we can do a simulation with a car (with a receiver) going in a circle, but I was just wondering how it would work for a drone. (I thought about just changing to altitude, so it becomes something like harry potterโ€™s flying car :joy:)

All the best,
Sogand :slight_smile:

1 Like

The method you described should work if you only need a simple circular trajectory at a constant altitude. However, if you need to do something more complex, you can try using a track playback trajectory with the vehicle type set as Airborne / Spaceborne. This will allow you to import a trajectory in the form of a timestamped csv, in ECEF, LLa, or ECI format, with smoothing and interpolation available if needed.

3 Likes

Hey Sogand - Did the response from Charles help you out or would you like additional information?

1 Like

I just want to add that if you want to see which satellites (what power levels) would be present at each point of the flight, you can easily automate it with the RAPI.
To do so you have the following commands: GetVisibleSatellites(system) and GetSatellitePower(system, prn).

2 Likes

Hi Robert!

The response from Charles and Irene helped a lot!

Thank you all!

1 Like