Can I use custom signal feature to generate signals for UAVs

Hi,

I would like to know if I can use custom signal feature to generate signals for UAVs (10km high) such that the UAV signals will experience atmospheric effect just like satellites. I know we need to write a XML file and a C++ shared library in order to use the custom signal feature.

Kindly,
Hongzhao Zheng

2 Likes

Hello @hongzhaozheng

Thank you for your question.

After consulting our experts, they think the best way to accomplish this is to record an IQ File with a satellite generating the custom signal (with 0 delay). Then, play it back with a jammer located on the UAV.

Let us know if this solution was helpful.

Thank you

AD

Hi,

To record an IQ file, do you mean I should use the File mode in skydel to generate the IQ file which will then be saved on my disk? What delay do you mean for this 0 delay? And how can I make sure the altitude of the UAV is 10km high if I am using a satellite to generate the custom signal?

Kindly,
Hongzhao

Hi @hongzhaozheng

Let me answer each question separately.

To record an IQ file, do you mean I should use the File mode in skydel to generate the IQ file which will then be saved on my disk?

Yes, exactly. Use the File option. Be aware that file sizes grow quickly, so ensure you have enough disk space.

What delay do you mean for this 0 delay?

By zero delay, we meant no propagation delay. Although the UI only let you change this for GPS and NavIC signals (in the General tab of the selected constellation), you can set it for any constellation with the following command: SetPropagationDelay(system, enabled)

And how can I make sure the altitude of the UAV is 10km high if I am using a satellite to generate the custom signal?

Only use the custom signal on a satellite when you output to the File (IQ), that’s also when you need to disable propagation delay.

For the actual scenario, use a Transmitter (IQ playback). Atmospheric delays won’t be applied, but it should not really be a problem for UAVs since they do not fly very high.

Hope this helps,

AD

Hi A-D,

Thank you for the clarification, it is really clear to me. But you made an assumption to the last question which is a reasonable assumption. However the object that I am simulating is not really called UAV. If I really want to simulate an object flying at around 20km high, is there any way to generate signals for it?

Many thanks,
Hongzhao

Hello @hongzhaozheng,

We are not 100% clear on your scenario. But let me try to answer.

For your object, you can simulate a transmitter that is 20km high.

Are you are also looking to simulate atmospheric delays?

The Ionosphere (which is the biggest contributor of pseudorange error) is above 100 km. At 20km high, your flying object’s signal would only be affected by the Troposphere, with pseudorange (PSR) errors around 20 cm.

Simulating that would be more complicated because an error cannot be added on the transmitter propagation delay.

Hope this helps,

AD